Here is the timeline for my Artomatic wall, pictured above. Keep in mind the final day for installation was this past Tuesday, May 26.
- Monday, May 18: ordered my prints from White House Custom Colour
- Wednesday, May 20: received my prints from WHCC
- Thursday, May 21: dropped off my prints to get framed at Apex Moulding
- Friday, May 22: prints ready for pickup
- Saturday, May 23: picked up my framed prints, then spent all weekend at Maryland Deathfest
- Monday, May 25, 12pm-5pm: did a Gallery Manager shift
- Monday, May 25, 6pm-9pm: painted my wall, hung my lights, arranged and hung my photos
Yes, that’s right… in the space of one week, I ordered my prints and had them framed. In the space of 3 hours, I went from a blank wood wall to the completed one you see above. I wasn’t going to bother painting – figured I needed a coat of primer plus two coats of paint, and there was no way I had time for that nonsense – but the guys doing the wall next to mine told me they’d only used one coat of paint, no primer. And theirs looked great. So I found some nice dark gray paint at Artomatic’s awesome communal paint stash, went home and got the same rollers, brush, blue tape and drop cloth that I used last year (plus the same lights, power strip, name plate, etc etc), and had at it. When it was barely dry, I went ahead and put up my lights and hung my photos.
It went quickly but I’d recommend procrastinating a little less than I did :) I’m lucky enough to have a ridiculously fast printer and framer – WHCC ships everything by 2-day mail, and Apex Moulding is just amazing with their turnaround, presumably because they’re a wholesale place with a different business model from your average frame shop.
Artomatic opens this Friday, and it’s going to be a good one this year. I can’t vouch for the quality of any of the art, of course, but it’s a great space and there are some very interesting things in the works. My wall is on the ninth floor on the east side of the building. I’ll miss the opening weekend, sadly, but I hope to spend a decent amount of time in the building until the show is over. (Free wireless internet!)